和谐英语

牛津书虫系列《圣诞欢歌》Chapter4 附中英双语文本

2013-05-18来源:和谐英语
4 The last of the spirits
4.最后一位幽灵
‘The third spirit will come at midnight.’scrooge suddenly remembered the words of Jacob Marley's ghost,and,lifting his eyes,saw a spirit,all in black,coming slowly towards him.It was a tall,silent figure,wearing a long black robe which hid its head and body.When it came close to him,it stopped and pointed onwards with one hand.Scrooge was more afraid of this spirit than he had been of the others,and his voice was shaking as he asked,‘Are you the spirit of Christmas Yet to Come?’the ghost neither spoke nor moved,but still pointed onwards.
“第三位幽灵将在午夜的时候到来。”斯克罗吉突然记起雅各布·马利幽灵的话,他抬起眼睛,看见了一个幽灵,身着黑衣服,慢慢地朝他走来。它个头很高,一声不响,一件长长的黑袍蒙住了他的头和身体。当它走近的时候,它停住了,并用一只手朝前指着。斯克罗吉对这个幽灵的恐惧胜过前面所有的,他用颤抖的声音问道,“你是来日的圣诞幽灵吗?”幽灵既不讲话也不走开,但还是朝前指着。
‘Are you going to show me shadows of the things which haven't happened yet, but will happen in the future?’scrooge asked.
“你是不是要给我看那些尚未发生的但将来会发生的事情的幻影?”斯克罗吉问。
There was no answer.
仍然没有应答。
‘Ghost of the future!’he continued.‘You frighten me very much,but I think you can help me to change my life.I'll be very grateful to you if you show me the future.Won't you speak to me?’
“未来的鬼魂!”他继续说。“你把我吓坏了,但我想你能帮我改变我的生活。如果你能为我指明未来的话,我会很感激你的。你难道不跟我讲话吗?”
Again,no reply.
还是没有回答。
‘Well,show me the way,spirit!’said Scrooge finally.‘The night is passing,and time is valuable to me,I know.’
“那好吧,幽灵,就给我指出我的出路吧。”斯克罗吉最后说。“夜晚马上就要结束,时间对我来说很珍贵,我知道。”
The ghost moved away,with Scrooge following in its shadow.Suddenly they were in the heart of the capital,among the businessmen and moneylenders.The ghost pointed to one small group of men,so Scrooge went closer to listen to their conversation.
鬼魂走开了,斯克罗吉跟着它的影子。突然他们来到了市中心,周围都是商人和放债人。鬼魂指了指一小群人,斯克罗吉便走上前听着他们的谈话。
‘No,I don't know much about it,’said one fat man.‘I only know he's dead.’
“不,这件事我知道的不多。”一个胖子说。“我只知道他死了。”
‘When did he die?’asked another man.
“他什么时候死的?”另一个人问。
‘Last night,I think.’
“昨天晚上,我想。”
‘Why,what was the matter with him?’asked a third.
“怎么了,他出了什么事?”第三个人问道。
‘I've no idea,’replied the fat man,looking bored.‘who cares?’
“我不知道,”胖子回答说,看上去很不耐烦。“管他呢?”
‘What's he done with his money?’asked a red-faced gentleman.
“他的钱怎么处理了?”一位红脸先生问。
‘I haven't heard,’said the fat man.‘He hasn't left it to me, that's all I know.’
“我没听说,”胖子说,“我只知道他没把钱留给我。”
They all laughed at this.Scrooge knew the men, and looked towards the spirit, hoping it would explain what the conversation meant.But the ghost moved on,pointing at two more men.Scrooge listened again.He knew these men well.They were rich and important, and he had often done business with them.
听了这话他们都笑了。斯克罗吉认识这些人,他看着幽灵,希望它能解释解释他们的谈话是什么意思。但鬼魂继续朝前走,又指着另外两个人。斯克罗吉又听了他们在说什么。他很熟悉这些人。他们有钱又都是要人,他经常和他们做生意。
‘How are you?’said one.
“你好?”一个人说。
‘How are you?’replied the other.
“你好?”另一个回答道。
‘Well!’said the first.‘The old man has died at last,has he?’
“哎!”第一个人说。“这老头儿终于死了,不是吗?”
‘So they tell me,’replied the second.‘Cold,isn't it?’
“别人是这么告诉我的,”第二个人回答说。“好冷啊,不是吗?”
‘Nice and frosty for Christmas.Good morning!’
“对圣诞节来说很不错而且还有霜。早上好。”
Not another word.That was the end of their meeting.
再没有回答声,他们的会面到此结束。
Scrooge wondered why the spirit wanted him to hear these conversations.What could they mean?The dead man could not be his partner Jacob,because he was already dead.