和谐英语

您现在的位置是:首页 > 英语口语 > 英语口语学习材料

正文

含有国名的英文习语盘点

2014-05-23来源:englishwithatwist

含有国名的英文习语盘点

英语中有不少习语含有国家的名字,这些习语的来源一般和这个国家的历史文化有所联系,那么希腊、中国、荷兰等常出现在英文习语中的国家在特定语境中究竟是什么意思呢,跟着小编学习吧。

1. It’s all Greek to me

We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.
当我们不理解看到的或听到的某件事时,可以使用这句表达。

“I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me”.
“我最近看了这本关于玄学的书,你看懂了吗,因为我完全看不懂。”

2. Go Dutch

We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.
我们用这个习语表示去餐馆并且各自结账。

“Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch”.
“瑞秋不喜欢男伴请客,她喜欢各付各的。”

3. Chinese Whispers (UK)

This expression is often used as a metaphor for mistakes and inaccurate information which comes from rumours of gossip.
这个习语通常比喻因为谣言而产生的错误或不准确的信息。

“All this talk about the Prime Minister resigning is just Chinese Whispers.”
“关于首相辞职的谣言纯属无中生有。”

4. Talk for England

When someone can talk for hours and hours
这个习语指的是某人可以长篇大论讲很久

“I’m so sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!”
“抱歉我迟到了。琳达太能讲了,我实在脱不开身。”

5. Dutch Courage

When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.
这个习语用在你需要一点酒来壮胆做某事的时候。

“I think I’ll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me”.
“我觉得邀请那个女孩和我跳舞之前我应该喝点酒壮胆。”